Rushymead provides residents a secure, relaxed and homely environment. We respond sensitively to the evolving needs of the residents within our community.
An individual care plan is negotiated with each resident, including input from the residents doctor, relatives or representatives. This plan not only addresses the medical and therapeutic needs but also embraces the cultural, spiritual, emotional and social preferences of the resident.
Our staff are trained and supervised to provide the highest standards of care.
The home is regularly inspected by The Care Quality Commision; the independent regulator of health and social care in England. As of 4 April 2018 our CQC overall rating is GOOD. Copies of their reports are available on request or here.
For more about us, please watch these videos
Rushymead has a rich history in the story of its transition from country house to residential care home.
In 1839, John Statham of Amersham owned a small farmhouse and a nine-acre field called Rushy Meadow, then in the occupation of Joshua Payne. The house was occupied as a farmhouse, and the grounds cultivated until about 1985 when a much larger house was built here, by Thomas Arthur Howland, a wine and spirit merchant. About 1913, the Howland family put Rushymead on the market with an asking price of £16,000.
The purchaser was Thomas Forbes, Chairman of Price Forbes & Co Ltd., and a Lloyds underwriter. He employed Arnold Dunbar Smith F.R.I.B.A., of Queen's Square, Bloomsbury, to rebuild the house. The new Rushymead featured in the Studio Yearbook of Decorative Art in 1924.
In 1940, the employees of Forbes moved to Rusymead to avoid the London bombings. However, despite these precautions, in 1940 a large bomb fell in the grounds of Rushymead. Luckily the bomb did not explode and was recovered successfully.
After the death of Thomas Forbes in 1951, Rushymead was bought by Broom & Wade, the High Wycombe engineering company, who used it as a staff college. In the 1960s, Rushymead was bought by Hillingdon Borough Council as an old people's home. In 1991, ownership of the home passed to Chiltern District Council, with the object of opening a hospice there. In 1997 Dr Michael Batt operating as The Michael Batt Charitable Trust purchased the home and set about modernising and improving the house. The Trust continues to operate Rushymead as a residential care home, administered by trustees, to this day.
Bev Sturges - Home Manager